Glengarriff Pharmacy is your friendly local pharmacy, serving local families with flu vaccinations in West Cork, covering Bantry, Beara, Castletownbere, Kenmare and surrounding areas.
WINTER FLU VACCINATION
FLU VACCINES are considered the best form of protection against flu and its complications. Here are the changes to 2020’s winter flu vaccination services and why it is important for you and your loved ones to book the Flu Vaccination now at Glengarriff Pharmacy.
What is new this year?
This year, there is a Quadrivalent vaccine available as an intranasal spray as well as an intra-muscular injection. This intranasal vaccine is recommended for all children aged 2 to <18.
Why you should get the Flu Vaccine this year?
Flu has been found to be more severe in certain people, such as anyone aged 65 and over, pregnant women, young children, adults with underlying health conditions, and children & adults with weakened immune systems.
The flu vaccine does not prevent COVID-19 in any way, but as both of these viruses have an impact on the respiratory system, if you can prevent the flu, it can be a huge benefit to your overall health, your community and our health service.
What is seasonal/winter flu (influenza)?
Influenza is a highly infectious viral illness which affects the respiratory tract. It can affect all ages and while it is unpleasant; for most people it is generally not life threatening.
What is the winter flu vaccine?
Each year the seasonal flu vaccine contains four common influenza virus strains. The flu virus changes each year and therefore a new flu strain of the vaccine has to be given each year.
How does the vaccine work?
Seasonal flu vaccine helps a person’s immune system to produce antibodies to the flu virus. When someone who has been vaccinated comes into contact with the virus, these antibodies attack the virus.
How soon will it work? Is it safe?
The vaccine starts to work within two weeks. Reactions to the vaccine are generally mild and serious side effects are very rare. The seasonal flu vaccine cannot give you the flu.
Who should receive the Flu Vaccine?
While everyone should consider getting a flu vaccine, it is especially important that the following groups get vaccinated:
Who should NOT get the vaccine?
Due to COVID-19 we will only be administering the Flu vaccination to people who have made an appointment.
How does the service work?
1) Appointment only. This year you should book your appointment either by calling us on 02763744 or by popping in when next passing to ensure you have a slot allocated.
2) Complete Questionnaire. There is a short questionnaire you need to complete and it is best that this is done in advance of your flu vaccination. We will go through this questionnaire when you arrive for your appointment.
3) Free from Symptoms On the day of your appointment if you have symptoms of COVID-19 you should cancel or rebook. When you arrive for your appointment you will be asked a short series of questions to confirm that you do not have any symptoms and that you are not a close contact of a confirmed or suspected case.
4) Face masks. You should also be on your own when coming for your appointment (unless you are accompanying a child aged under 16) and wear a face covering.
5) Dress appropriately. When it comes to preparing for your appointment, you should bring your own pen for any paperwork and wear appropriate clothing for a vaccination to be administered to your upper arm.
6) Arrive on time. If you arrive too early you may be asked to return closer to your allotted time.
7) Social distancing. You may be asked to wait in an allocated waiting area to maintain social distancing.
8) Children. For children getting the vaccination, you should bring something to distract them and talk about face coverings beforehand so they aren’t unfamiliar on the day.
9) Speak slowly and clearly. During the appointment you will be asked to speak slowly and clearly when wearing a face covering so the pharmacist has the accurate information needed.
When you arrive for your Flu Vaccination appointment, our highly trained pharmacist will invite you into our private consultation room to begin the process. The door may be left partially open.
The pharmacist may ask you a few simple questions to begin to make sure the vaccine is suitable for you.
Once you are happy, the pharmacist will administer the vaccine. This is a quick and relatively painless procedure.
After your vaccination you’ll be requested to wait in a designated area of the pharmacy for 15 minutes but to maintain a social distance.
How much does this service cost?
The price of the Flu vaccination varies based on your age, your medical history and if you are on a Government medical health scheme. Please ask a member of our team if you are eligible for a Free Vaccination.
Call us on 027 63744 to BOOK YOUR APPOINTMENT IN STORE TODAY