Maalox Oral Suspension 250ml contains two different medicines. They are called aluminium hydroxide and magnesium hydroxide. They belong to a group of medicines called antacids.
Maalox Suspension is used for:
- Heartburn or when your stomach has too much acid (indigestion)
- Inflammation of the stomach (gastritis), and
- When prescribed by a doctor it may also be used for lowering the amount of acid in your stomach or gut (intestine) when you have an ulcer
Maalox Suspension works by lowering the amount of acid in your stomach.
Do not take Maalox Suspension if:
- You are allergic to aluminium hydroxide or magnesium hydroxide or any of the other ingredients in Maalox Suspension (listed in section 6).
Signs of an allergic reaction include: a rash, swallowing or breathing problems, swelling of your lips, face, throat or tongue
- You are feeling very weak and have no energy (debilitated)
- You have kidney problems. Long term exposure to high doses of Maalox Suspension can lead to dementia.
- You have severe stomach pain
- Your bowel is partially or fully blocked
Take special care with Maalox Suspension. Check with your doctor or pharmacist before taking this medicine if:
- You are on a low-phosphorous diet
- You are pregnant, might become pregnant, or think you may be pregnant. You should not take Maalox Suspension during the first three months of pregnancy
- You are breast-feeding or planning to breast-feed