Lactulose Oral Solution 500ml is a very widely used laxative, which helps relieve constipation in a gentle, reliable way.
Do not take Lactulose oral solution:
- if you are allergic (hypersensitive) to any of the components of Lactulose oral solution.
- if you suffer from galactosaemia (a severe genetic disorder where you cannot digest galactose).
- acute inflammatory bowel disease (like Crohn’s disease or ulcerative colitis), blockage in your bowel (apart from normal constipation), digestive perforation or risk of digestive perforation, abdominal pain or undetermined cause.
Please tell your doctor before taking Lactulose oral solution:
- if you suffer from gastro-cardiac syndrome (Roemheld syndrome)
- if you have symptoms like meterorism or bloating after using it, stop the treatment and consult your doctor.
- Longterm use of unadjusted dosages (exceeding 2-3 soft stools per day) or misuse can lead to diarrhoea and disturbance of the electrolytes balance.
- If you are an elderly patient or a patient in bad general condition and who take Lactulose oral solution for more than a 6 month period, your doctor will regularly check your blood electrolytes.
- Patients with portal systemic encephalopathy should avoid additional use of other laxatives, because it hinders the individualisation of drug dose.
- Please do not use Lactulose oral solution without medical advice for more than two weeks.
- Lactulose oral solution should not normally be given to infants and smaller children as it can disturb the normal reflexes for passing stools. In special circumstances your doctor may prescribe Lactulose oral solution for a child, infant or baby. In these cases your doctor will supervise the treatment carefully.
- If you are pregnant or breast-feeding, think you may be pregnant or are planning to have a baby, ask your doctor or pharmacist for advice before taking this medicine.